Saturday 7 July 2012

New museum gets a helping hand!

A quick trip over to Manchester this week to discover the delights of England's new National Football Museum, housed at the futuristic Urbis building in Manchester city centre.

Upon arriving I was informed by one of the excitable gaggle of PR people on duty that the star attraction was Maradona's 'Hand of God' shirt. Well, as any self-respecting Scot would do, I hot-footed it to the relevant display cabinet and paid homage to the shirt which is on loan from former England internationalist Steve Hodge who nabbed it from wee Diego after that famous 1986 World Cup match.

It set me thinking. Maybe the more appropriate location for this item would be at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden? I can imagine it would become something of a shrine! Not that I endorse cheating or gamesmanship, you understand. It just somehow has more resonance in Scotland, for some reason.

Anyway, petty nationalistic gibes aside, the newly-opened NFM is excellent. Its director is Kevin Moore, a fellow Tranmere Rovers fan, so as you would expect it balances out history and modernity with a good mix of large and small clubs represented in each of the four packed floors of displays.

It also tackles serious issues related to English football's more troubled histories: fires, disasters, hooliganism. although the alleged theft of a bracelet in 1970 doesn't get a mention anywhere!

On the top floor is Stuart Roy Clarke's sublime 'Homes of Football' photographic exhibition (his entire collection is now housed at the NFM). It's a tour around football in the nations of the British Isles and further afield including new images taken in Africa. Superb. Indeed the whole place is.

For more information, read Ian Herbert's article in the Independent which was illustrated by my photographs: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-peoples-game-exhibits-its-heart-at-the-national-football-museum-7917892.html?origin=internalSearch

or view my set of images at: http://colinmcpherson.photoshelter.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete