Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Proof Principle launches

The project which has taken up most of my creative energies in 2011 has finally launched, as a three part exhibition.

Entitled 'The Proof Principle' it is an artistic response to Unilever's celebration of one hundred years of research and development at the company's Port Sunlight facility in Wirral.

The commission was brokered by Arts and Business and followed on from me being part of a staff-curated group exhibition at Port Sunlight at the end of last year.

To celebrate the centenary, Unilever wished to engage an artist to commemorate this historic year. I was fortunate enough to be approached to take on the commission and have spent a fascinating year meeting, planning, photographing and filming at Port Sunlight. As a non-scientist, I was never made to feel like an intruder into a strange world, rather I enjoyed sharing the creative process of making the work with a whole host of friendly, welcoming, engaged and interested people. Also, the fact that I was allowed free-range to develop the project as I wished, was both challenging and stimulating.

The result is a three-part exhibition, featuring a series of photographic images interlinked with key words, an installation and a short film, which consisted of 'moving stills'.

The exhibition will remain at the facility until the New Year. It will then transfer to the Bluecoat in Liverpool in Spring on a date yet to be determined.

If you wish to read more about the project, view the images and see the film, please visit my website. Any comments may be left on this page. I'd be delighted to hear from you.

I'd like to thank Paul Sherratt, Mike Parkington, David Harrison and all the staff who assisted me at Unilever, Claire Barlow-Orton at Arts & Business and Jan Peters at USP Creative who turned the vision into reality.

Further information here: http://www.colinmcpherson.co.uk/gallery.asp?subject=TheProofPrinciple






No comments:

Post a Comment